How To Approach A Sad Friend

Samuel T. Boyenga

We’ve all been there before. Whether it be a bad breakup, death of a family member, losing a pet, or other such things in life. When we’re going through a sad moment it’s easy for us to know how to feel and how to act, but what about when you aren’t the one who is directly dealing with the issue? Instead, it’s your bestest friend who you would do anything for.

You’ve been through all the good times, but uh-oh here comes the bad times! They’re sad because their girlfriend/ boyfriend who they’ve been with for over 3 years decided to end the relationship, and it seems as though the whole world is crumbling around them. What do you do? Do you surprise them with a trip to Disneyland? Perhaps take them to the movies and pay for tickets, popcorn, and perhaps even a decent dinner? Maybe you could do that, and maybe it would even work, but most of the time as studies and personal experience along with some evidence from friends all you need is to talk to them. Help relate to them and let them know that it’s something that everyone goes through and walks out of just fine.

Just bringing them artificial happiness only serves to alienate them from the source of what caused them grief. It can almost seem insulting to some whose friends are too busying worrying about how grand and expensive the gifts given are, rather than pay attention to their feelings which often require nothing more than some genuine and caring conversation and understanding. Another way to help out a sad friend is too treat them not so differently from normal. Bringing up topics and events related to what the friend is sad about, such as being overly sensitive with your words can become quite obvious to the sad friend and keep them thinking about… y’know… the sad stuff.

So all in all just do what your gut tells you, be supportive and don’t treat them like a sensitive baby.