Game Review- “Borderlands”

Jared

Borderlands is a relatively popular “FPSRPG” franchise,  blending elements of popular shooters like COD and Halo with elements of RPG games like World of Warcraft and Diablo 3. It is developed by Gearbox Studios, and published by 2K Games. The first game came out in 2009, followed by the sequel’s release in 2011. In 2014, a “Pre-Sequel” was released, which dealt with the rise of Borderlands 2’s villain, Jack, and his descent into evil. One of the most popular features of this game is it’s “drop in, drop out” co-operative gameplay. The game is certainly playable and beatable when playing solo, but will really hits its stride when played with two or more players. The difficulty ramps up when playing with more people, and teamwork is really vital to the survival of your team.

The main premise of the game involves four (or six, depending on if you have the required DLC) hired mercenaries known as Vault Hunters, and their quest for immense amounts of wealth and weaponry. Each Vault Hunter is unique in their own way, with their own skill trees, and things called Action Skills, basically a skill that can help you in battle. In Borderlands 1, you can play as Roland, the straightforward FPS-like soldier, who uses a turret to help him in battle, Lilith, one of only six mystical beings known as “Sirens” in the galaxy, who can essentially make herself travel in to a different dimension, allowing you to get a good hit on an enemy, Mordecai, the masked hunter who specializes in sniper rifles and uses his poached pet bird, Bloodwing, to distract enemies and attack them, and Brick, the heavy-built explosives specialist who goes “Berserk” and can kill tons of enemies in a short time with only his fists. In Borderlands 2, you have Axton, the successor to Roland from the first game, who also uses a turret, but has access to better modifications, like being able to throw it longer distances, equip it with missile launchers, and attach it to walls and ceilings. Then there’s Maya, the second Siren, who can “Phaselock” an enemy, essentially trapping them in another dimension for a short time, useful for getting rid of the harder enemies, Salvador, the short guy with a penchant for dual-wielding weapons and causing tons of explosions, and Zer0, the mysterious ninja samurai who speaks only in haiku and can throw out a hologram of himself for a short time to get closer to bigger enemies. The DLCs for Borderlands 2 add Gaige, the 19-year-old tech wizard, who cut off her left arm and replaced it with a robotic one, and uses her robotic creation, Deathtrap, to help protect her, and Krieg, the Psycho, who has lost all his sanity but is good for causing tons of damage with his giant axe. In the Pre-Sequel, you can play as Athena, the former assassin, who has a shield that can absorb damage, using that damage against the enemy when it’s thrown back, Claptrap, the small robot from the first two games who is programmed with “VaultHunter.exe” which gives him access to all sorts of Action Skills, some of them resemble previous Vault Hunter action skills, while others are completely random, like bouncing around on a rubber duck floaty thing, or turning into a pirate ship that fires cannonballs. Wilhelm, the half-man, half-cyborg man who uses his two robot drones, Wolf and Saint, to cause distractions and damage. And Nisha, the “cowgirl” of the group, who specializes in revolvers and can lock on to enemies with her action skill, killing them instantly. The DLCs for the Pre-Sequel add the doppelganger of Jack, the main character of the Pre-Sequel, who can spawn a bunch of “Holo-Jack” clones who go and swarm enemies, allowing you to get a good shot on them, and Aurelia Hammerlock, the cold-hearted sister of side-character Sir Hammerlock, who uses a floating icycle to attack enemies, freezing them.

The franchise, though it seems relatively story-sparse, actually has a very expansive backstory detailing the various weapons manufacturing corporations that have made an impact on Pandora and its ecosystem, the Eridians, a race of mysterious alien-like creatures who created the Vaults most of the games task you with finding, how humanity first found the Vaults, and how Pandora became bloody land of carnage and chaos. Basically, it all started with the Atlas corporation and their excavations on a planet called Promethea. These excavations lead to the discovery of the first Vault, which gave Atlas information regarding a Vault on Pandora. They travelled their, and began to mine for any sign of a Vault. Then, the militaristic Dahl corporation came in, and set up their own shop, building settlements for their workers, and using Pandora as a place to store unruly criminals. They soon left, figuring that Pandora had hit its peak with resources on Pandora. The loyal workers and unloyal prisoners were left behind, as Dahl thought it would be too much work to retrieve them. Those who weren’t already slightly crazy after being isolated while studying Eridian ruins, or having their research team slowly killed off by the wildlife, decided to make the most of their time on Pandora. Those who didn’t cracked their sanity shell, going crazy and living a life of banditry, courtesy of the escaped prisoners, who had formed their own bandit tribes. Meanwhile, four Vault Hunters came, brought to Pandora with the promise of infinite wealth, fame, and power beyond their wildest dreams. They soon realized this was all a lie. The Vault had nothing but false promises and disappointment. Until the planet changed due to the opening of the Vault. A large section of Pandora basically cracked open, revealing a purple liquid known as Eridium, which was highly valuable, and was a power source for those lucky enough to be a Siren. Hyperion, another mega-corporation like Dahl and Atlas before it, set up shop on Pandora’s moon, Elpis, and tried to capitalize on this Eridium. Then, some crazy stuff on the moon happened, Hyperion turned evil (well, more evil than it was before, anyways) and basically put the planet in martial law. Having been a former Atlas soldier, Roland, the Vault Hunter, took the remnants of the Atlas military, the Crimson Lance, and made his own rebellion out of those ashes. The Crimson Raiders were born. They fought against Jack and his Hyperion army, and failed for the most part. Until Jack’s clever “Hire treasure hunters from around the galaxy and kill them when they arrive so I’ll have no opposition in finding the Vault” plan failed. But the rest is history.

Overall, there’s still a lot to learn about Pandora and the various corporations vying for control of this chaotic place, and the Eridians who left cryptic ruins behind. Who are these Eridians, what do the Vaults do, why are there so many of them? With Borderlands 3 on the (possible) horizon, we may just find out.

In closing, I highly recommend giving the Borderlands franchise a try, especially if you have three other friends to play it with. It is absolutely a blast, and you’re sure to have some fun times. Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel are bundled together with all their add-on DLC in a title called “Borderlands: The Handsome Collection,” and are remastered for Xbox One and PS4, and the first one is playable with backwards compatibility on the Xbox One, you also automatically unlock the Game of The Year edition when you play it on the Xbox One, giving you all of the downloadable content for free. Go ahead and check it out. You won’t be disappointed.